Contact dermatitis is a dermatitis that is caused by contact with irritants. This type of dermatitis is characterized by redness, swelling, itchiness and burning sensations that spread across the skin. Contact Dermatitis is more common among children but adults are also prone to it. This may occur due to various reasons like exposure to chemicals, detergents, jewelry, soaps, solvents, cosmetics, preservatives and foodstuffs etc. Though contact dermatitis is not a life threatening disease, it is an irritating form of dermatitis that leads to itching, blistering, discoloration, infection and scarring of the skin.
Contact dermatitis caused due to a reaction to Polysporin commonly used in hospitals. Polysporin is an antibacterial agent that is often used in hospitals to reduce infection and swelling of the patients. Polysporin is commonly used for patients who are suffering from diabetes, urinary tract infections, impotence, urinary tract obstruction, and eczema. Polysporin can cause itchy rashes after contact with it. If you are suffering from this rash, you should immediately contact your doctor and take proper medication.
Many a times, dermatitis caused due to allergies also results in itchy rashes. These allergic reactions can be mild or severe. The rashes can either be itchy and tender, blistered and inflamed, crusty and dry, scaly and fragile or itchy and reddened. Allergic reaction can be triggered by allergen like latex, pollens, mold, molds, pet dander, cosmetics etc. If you find that itching is accompanied by reddening, swelling, redness and tenderness on the affected area, then it is very likely that you have developed an allergic response due to the allergen.
If you have itching sensation along with swelling, redness and blisters along with your itchiness, then the likely hood of contact dermatitis rash allergy is high. However, if you also have dryness, thickening and flaking skin on the affected area, then it is likely that you are developing allergy from watery skin products like soaps and shampoos, perfumes, toilet paper etc. This type of dermatitis is also called atopic dermatitis.
If you develop contact dermatitis rash, you will notice that there will be a lot of tiny pores on your skin which will be open and be showing yellowish discharges. Also, the rash may be surrounded by an area of redness and swelling. This type of reaction will generally be more severe at night. This is because at night, the body’s reaction to allergens is highly decreased. Sometimes, even if the reaction is more mild, the rashes can still be very visible.
So, it is important to note that even if you are affected by itching, swelling or redness, it does not mean that you are being affected by allergy from allergens. The symptoms in this case are caused by a substance which was irritating for the skin before the contact dermatitis rash developed. You will notice that when the allergen is removed, the symptoms will start to disappear. However, if the allergen is not removed, only then the symptoms will be relieved.
One of the best ways to avoid getting dermatitis is by avoiding nickel allergen. However, if your nickel is already being consumed, you need to take extra care not to aggravate the condition. To do this, you will need to use nickel-free lotions and cosmetics. If you are not sure whether you have been exposed to nickel, you can get a skin test from a dermatologist. This test will help you determine whether you have been exposed to nickel or not.
Another way of avoiding dermatitis is by using mild soaps or detergents that are fragrance free or hypoallergenic. When you use a detergent or soap which is too strong for your skin, you will only transfer the allergens from the outside to the inside of your body. Soap with fragrance can also cause dermatitis, so it is advised that you only use soaps with fragrance if you want to limit the risk of contact dermatitis. The best way of avoiding dermatitis is by knowing which substances you are allergic to and avoiding these substances as much as possible.